Saturday, June 6, 2009

Our first day on Meadow View

Ever since Sunday I've been thinking about starting a blog for Kaw Prairie. I finally sat down to do it.

I'm entirely sure what I will put on this blog, but for now I want to start with reflections from our first day in our new toolbox, the ministry center on K-7 and Prairie Star Parkway, in western Johnson County.

What a day!

Unfortunately for you, you'll get to read most of my impressions. If you could talk to Kaw Prairiers, you'd get a much cooler, and more diverse story.

Sunday started off being interesting when I realized I was the first guy at the building. To my great surprise, the key I'd been given worked. Woohoo!

My priorities going in the door were, make sure everything still turns on, get my instruments ready, prepare anything I can for the band and singers, make sure everyone knows what they're doing, make sure I go to the bathroom before church, and try to stay awake.

I was worried about a few things: will it sound good? Will we remember the music? Will the systems all work like they're supposed to? Will people be really freaked out? Will it be worship or just some kind of showcase?

All things considered, it all turned out perfectly. The band did an awesome job. We even improved some stuff. The ushers knew what they were doing, the greeters seemed to be smiling plenty, the tech stuff was sweet, and nobody made the bitter-beer face when the lights dimmed and we started singing.

Don't like to see the bitter-beer face in church.

It wasn't until the end of the second service that I breathed and realized what was happening. PD had just inspired us with a fresh coat of paint on our calling, the church had responded to worship, and nobody seemed to be frustrated with anybody else.

It really was a great day!

Now I'm sitting at an airport lamenting the fact I'm going to miss first service of week 2, but feeling very thankful that Kaw Prairie exists because of people who serve with passion and authenticity, and who work really hard for the Kingdom of God in our little corner of the world.

Church tomorrow will go well; the band will do great; the tech stuff will be classy; ministry on the prairie will be fun and authentic, like the Mexican food we all love so much (right?).

Oh, and the songs we did were:
You are Worthy of my Praise
Not to Us
Take my life
Breathe
How Great is our God/How great thou art.

That was a fun set.

No comments:

Post a Comment