Sunday, June 28, 2009

Everything has its pros and cons


The entire KP music team will have something to say about this next comment, but it's just true.

Having the metronome is a really great thing, but some times it can be so confusing.

Today we played:
Your Grace is Enough (Chris Tomlin Version)
Consuming Fire (Tim Hughes)
Grace that is Greater (Bart Millard)
I Could Sing of Your love (Delirious)
Not to Us (Matt Redman)

It was a good set and everyone did a great job playing/singing.

However, on "Your Grace," We spent most of the song, or at least I did, finding our way back to the metronome. Either we wanted to play it faster, or a couple of us were dragging the others away from the metronome, or the metronome was possessed. Either way, I could just not enjoy that song 'cause all I could do was fight to stay with that thing.

The rest of songs were very natural and the metronome fit right in, and we with it. What was unfortunate about it was the fact that it was the first song and it may have given us, and those gathered, a rocky start to the worship.

We're still learning a lot about wearing in-ear monitors. Everyone uses them differently, but I'm more and more convinced that everyone should have control of their own. It sounds ridiculous, but the ideal way to go is to have an Aviom and a wireless system for each of the front people. It just seems like such a ridiculous waste of money, but communicating with the booth and getting what you need from the system are just way more difficult, and costly, than just buying the darn things.

I'll have to get some more equipment when we can afford to do that. In the mean time, thanks to our sound people for being ever so patient with us.

You might have to be on-stage to appreciate this next part, although I'm sure it will make perfect sense. It really takes some getting use to when all you hear is what's coming out of your headphones, but I've gotten so used to it now that I just feel like I'm right in there with everyone, sitting in a chair just worshiping alongside the others. If the metronome is set to a good tempo for the band, I don't even notice it there. I guess if I distrusted the person mixing the house you might not be able to concentrate, but I do trust the people back there, so as long as I can hear what I need to worship and to lead, I'm good; and that's a really big blessing to me.

I got a few pictures today from one of our photographers. I really like the lighting in these.

No comments:

Post a Comment