Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Wow.

It's been such an amazing trip.

You're not going to believe this but I'm sitting at an Internet Cafe in Puerto Peñasco, Mexico, on my way back to the work site. Internet access here is $1 for an hour. Fortunately my trusty mac book is with me. Otherwise I could use one of the PCs here.

The work is going very well.

We crossed the border early in the evening last night and drove about an hour to the site of our camp. In the distance we could see the beach resorts standing several stories above the landscape and could picture hundred of American tourists just having a good time.

We started setting up our camp, the KP team as well as the team from Haverhill Christian Church in Augusta, KS, which turned out to be quite a task to accomplish in the dark when half of your team hasn't ever set up a tent at all.

They all did beautifully.

At our campfire talk that night Jason, our leader from Haverhill, reminded us of something that really kind of rocked me. The spring break crowd at the beach just a couple miles away was setting one example for the people of Puerto Peñasco; we, however, were being called to perhaps set a different example. Now, the folks on vacation here cannot be lumped into one category, that wouldn't be fair, but the fact is that we were called here for something entirely different, and there are folks who will not leave the most positive of impressions while partying on the beach. We were called here to leave not our impression, but the mark of the love of Christ, in the shape of framed walls, and concrete, and tar, and chicken wire.

The work today has gone very well and everyone is working really hard.

As I write, the concrete foundation that we poured this morning is drying and almost all the outside walls are up and squared. The roof parts will go on next, then we'll cover the roof and eventually we'll start the stucco phase on the outside walls. Of course, most of what I just described won't get done until tomorrow since it's already almost 5 here and we'll be going back to camp soon.

I wish I could write more but I have to get back to camp.

"Not from sorrow, pain or care, freedom dare I claim. This alone shall be my prayer to Glorify Thy Name!"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, G. We are praying for you & the team here regularly-- including at our staff meeting today. You'll totally out-bench me even more next week after all this exercise, I'm sure. La paz de Dios--
    dan

    ReplyDelete