Monday, November 2, 2009

Some stories must be told

Sunday during the second service we had one of those moments that if you didn't know about, you would not notice.

Right after PD's sermon we started the song Surrender. The plan was that about halfway through the song Dave would do a guitar part to wrap up the song and then we just do another chorus or two. At least that's why I thought.

Now, it is not strange for me to "think" we are going to do something with a song and it be miles from what we planned and practiced. Seriously, it's a weekly occurrence. In the middle of the song, caught in the moment and with no brain waves left to apply to memory, I think of how the song is going to go and no part of my brain tells me "that's not what the band is expecting German!"

That said, instead of going into that guitar part I expected, the band died away, as they would at the end of a song, or for a chorus that we wanted only voices to be heard on.

Not sure of where the breakdown was, I improvised. Knowing that the prayer stations were open in the back of the room, and seeing they were staffed and ready, I encouraged people to go back and pray if they had something they wanted prayer for. By the time I was done the band was pretty much on idle, waiting for what was coming next, undoubtedly clueless.

So I started in alone and hoped they would follow me. They do that very well. I guess they have to 'cause I just can't seem to stick to a plan (if you're a musicians who was thinking about getting involved at KP, you should know what you're getting into). It's really not terrible, but it does happen.

So we finished the song, and went on to the next one as planned. If you didn't know better, you'd have seen it as part of the plan. I like doing that too; stopping in the middle of a song while the music is still going to say a few words. I had even wanted to do it earlier but thought of it right in the middle of a song and knew it would be really mean of me to do that to the band without any prior notice.

Thanks band for being flexible and spontaneous!

No comments:

Post a Comment